The People’s Petroleum Building is the most prominent, historic landmark in Downtown Tyler. Built in 1932 by one of Tyler’s most influential businessmen, Samuel A. Lindsey, the 15-story building is located at the west end of the downtown square. At the time, it was the tallest high-rise building in East Texas and one of the largest construction projects west of the Mississippi.

Originally named for its first anchor tenant, the People’s National Bank, this Art Deco showplace was designed to meet the growing financial and business needs created by the East Texas oil boom. Along with People’s National Bank, it was home to oil companies, geologists, attorneys, doctors, engineers, and insurance companies. Many prominent businessmen officed there – including H.L. Hunt, D.K. Caldwell, Sam R. Greer and A.W. “Dub” Riter Jr. For decades it was truly the area’s most prestigious business address.

Contact Us

Historical Gallery

People's bank lobby

Welcome to Tyler

A downtown Location